Plants, information, and the environment
What are the environmental cues that plants respond to, and what are the consequences of changing climates for response to these cues?
How can parents use information from their own environment to provision their offspring appropriately?
When related individuals interact extensively, how do individual and inclusive fitness considerations influence the evolutionary outcome of their interaction?
Such questions drive my past and current research. My research interests lie in understanding how complex environments influence selection, and how plants can respond adaptively to their environment. I study adaptation across a broad range of scales, incorporating genetic and developmental information into phenotypic selection analyses and mathematical models of life history. My work is largely based in the field, supplemented by greenhouse studies and theoretical models.
My research focuses on three areas:
- Wilczek, A., J. Roe, M. Knapp, M. Cooper, C.M. Lopez-Gallego, L. Martin, C. Muir, S. Sim, A. Walker, J.Anderson, J.F. Egan, B. T. Moyers, R. Petipas, A. Giakountis, E. Charbit, G. Coupland, S.M. Welch, and J. Schmitt. 2009. Effects of genetic perturbation on seasonal life history plasticity. Science 323(5916):930 - 934 doi: 10.1126/science.1165826
- Sultan, S.E., K. Barton and A.M. Wilczek. Contrasting patterns of transgenerational plasticity in ecologically distinct congeners. Ecology 90(7):1831-1839. doi: 10.1890/08-1064.1.
- Sangster, T.A., A. Bahrami, A.M. Wilczek, E. Watanabe, K. Schellenberg, C. McLellan, A. Kelley, S. Hong, C. Queitsch. 2007. Phenotypic diversity and altered environmental plasticity in Arabidopsis thaliana with reduced HSP90 levels. PloS One 2: e648
- Haig, D. and A.M.Wilczek. 2006. Sexual conflict and the alternation of haploid and diploid generations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 361: 335-343.
- Griffen, L.R., A.M. Wilczek and F.A. Bazzaz. 2004. UV-B affects within-seed biomass allocation and chemical provisioning. New Phytologist 162:167-171.
- Cavender-Bares, J. and A.M. Wilczek. 2003. Integrating macro and microevolutionary processes in community ecology. Ecology 84(3): 592-597.
- Sultan, S.E., A.M. Wilczek, S.D. Hann and B.J. Brosi. 1998. Contrasting ecological breadth of co-occurring annual Polygonum species. Journal of Ecology 86(3): 363-383.
- Sultan, S.E., A.M. Wilczek, D.L. Bell and G. Hand. 1998. Physiological response to complex environments in annual Polygonum species of contrasting ecological breadth. Oecologia 115(4): 564-578.
Home Page |
Site Map |